Dennis Howard is my Friend and Founder and President of The Movement for a Better America, a non-profit, pro-life educational organization. Over the years, Dennis and I have worked together as pro-life number crunchers. Dennis is a devoted Christian, a husband who loves his wife, unselfish and a tireless worker in the fight to save the lives pre-born children. His statistical analysis of the data is both meritorious and invaluable. With this column I want to share some of his work, in his own words, and both recognize and recommend Dennis as a consultant to churches and pro-life organizations.1 Please, hear ye him.
Dennis Howard: Which Is Worse?
"Which is worse? A slave population that grew by 466% in the 70 years between 1790 and 1860, or the genocidal slaughter of 4.67 times as many Blacks in the last 40 years as lived in these United States in 1860. Surely, that wasn't what Abraham Lincoln had in mind. The ethnic breakdown of this total includes: 34,085,480 Whites, 17,183,630 African Americans, and 2,562,490 "Hispanic or Other." Previously, the last two categories were combined under "Black and other," leading to an over-estimate of Black abortions. However, that doesn't change the genocidal aspect of Black abortions, especially when you look at abortions by race as a percentage of the total population, and as a share of the vulnerable "under-40" generation."2
Dennis Howard: A War Against Black Youth
"The total of 17,183,630 Black abortions is 69.7% of the under-40 Black population and 43.1% of the total Black population. Both are devastating percentages, especially when you realize that 61.8% of all Blacks are under 40. No doubt about it, this is a younger population that is being devastated by abortion. For comparison, White abortions account for 26.25% of the under-40 White population and just 13.8% of the total White population. These are devastating numbers, too. But no matter how you look at it, Blacks are still three times more likely to be aborted than Whites. For Blacks, this is "a war against the young" in which many of their leaders are complicit. It is astonishing that young Blacks are still willing to support liberal Black politicians who have sold out their race to the pro-abortion political clique that gives them money and power."3
Dennis Howard: The Data
"I should emphasize that we are only talking about abortions that are both 'legal' and reported. For that reason, these statistics remain very conservative. The actual numbers may well be 20 to 30 percent higher and possibly more. Here's why. For starters, the published numbers are derived from a survey of abortion providers taken by the Alan Guttmacher Institute, a subsidiary of Planned Parenthood, every 3 or 4 years. Between surveys, Guttmacher interpolates the numbers for intervening years. That amounts to a mathematical guess for the non-survey years. No doubt that saves money."4 The latest data from the CDC is based on abortion data for the year 2007 that were provided voluntarily to CDC by the central health agencies of 49 reporting areas (the District of Columbia; New York City; and 47 states, legally excluding the states of California, Maryland, and New Hampshire). Oh, how can I forget, please keep in mind that among the 49 reporting areas, only 37 of those reporting areas reported race for 2007.5
Brothers: Men Of The Cloth
Abortion is a leading cause of death in America. According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute (AGI) in 2008, 1.21 Million Abortions were performed in the United States of America.6
Brothers, the 1.21 million abortions in 2008 are more than all the deaths in the United States of America from Heart Disease, Cancer and HIV AIDS combined or more than seventy-three (73) times the homicides alone, in other words there are over Seventy-Three (73) Abortions for each Homicide.
- Heart Disease: 617,527 7
- Cancer (Malignant Neoplasms): 566,137 8
- HIV AIDS: 16,605 9
- Homicides: 16,442 (of which 6,782 were Black) 10
Brothers, 69% among Blacks, 54% among Hispanics and 40% of pregnancies among White women are unintended.11
Brothers, 37% of women obtaining abortions identify as Protestant and 28% as Catholic.12
Brothers, 54% percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (i.e., birth control, usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant.13
Brothers, about 61% of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more children.14
Brothers of all the abortions performed in 2008:
- 36% are on White women who are 36% of the population 15
- 30% are on Black women who are 06% of the population 16
- 25% are on Hispanic women who are 08% of the population 17
- 09% are on women of other races 18
Brothers, according to the latest CDC report, for every 1,000 live births among Black women, there were 447 abortions.19
Brothers, the data supports Dr. Clenard Childress who in 2006 first said: "The most dangerous place for an African-American to be is in the womb of their African-American mother."20
Brothers, we really need to talk.
01. The Movement for a Better America (http://bit.ly/hFnSa8).
02. Dennis Howard, "Abortion: How many is too many?" (http://bit.ly/iKPTcf).
05. "Abortion Surveillance --- United States, 2007", National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC (http://1.usa.gov/lN02A6).
06. "Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States", Alan Guttmacher Institute (http://bit.ly/gUufbn).
07. National Vital Statistics Reports (http://1.usa.gov/mreTaN).
09. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (http://1.usa.gov/iJqnWn).
10. "United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2009", The Disaster Center (http://bit.ly/jFFCTT).
11. Guttmacher, op. cit. (http://bit.ly/gUufbn) and U.S. 2010 Census Data (http://bit.ly/g2DjDh).
19. "Abortion Surveillance --- United States, 2007", TABLE 12. Reported abortions, by known race of women who obtained an abortion and reporting area of occurrence (http://1.usa.gov/jNwLhq).
20. Childress, Clenard, "The most dangerous place for an African-American to be is in the womb of their African-American mother", March 29th, 2011 (http://bit.ly/eYI7Lf).